In pregnancy , as well as in the diagnosis of various diseases is necessary to know the level of the hormone progesterone. Progesterone , in particular , is responsible for normal pregnancy at all stages and facilitates its conservation . Your doctor may order a blood test similar to not only women but also men. When is this happening? And you need to know before you get tested for progesterone ?
Translated from the Latin pro means "in favor" and gestatio - «Pregnancy" or "nurturing".
Reduced levels of progesterone threatened intrauterine development of the child , and in the most dangerous cases, the pregnancy is terminated . After all, progesterone depresses the activity of uterine contractions , which prevent miscarriage . Abortion may initially occur because progesterone too small to maintain the favorable status of endometrium ( the inner layer ) of the uterus.
With the high level of progesterone are usually talking about diseases of the reproductive system.
Normal progesterone leve
- the successful preparation of the mammary glands to the production of milk;
- a healthy blood sugar level;
- normal blood viscosity;
- converting fat into energy;
- preventing the formation of cysts.
The main indications for delivery of the analysis
Consider the cases in which it recommended to be tested for progesterone.
Indications for women:
- uterine bleeding (when their cause is unclear);
- menstrual irregularities (the analysis shows their causes);
- infertility (especially if the ovulation);
- diagnostics of the placenta (the 2nd half of pregnancy);
- suspected ovarian pathology;
Preparation for the analysis of progesterone
The doctor takes into account the health of the patient, and therefore assigns the terms and conditions of blood collection individually.
- blood from a vein in the morning on an empty stomach is dealt (after 8-12 hours since the last meal), you can drink the water;
- if you can not visit the lab in the morning, before the blood sampling is necessary to starve for at least 6 hours, and during breakfast eliminate fatty foods;
- Women with a regular 28-day cycle - 22 minutes, or 23 minutes a day;
- for women with irregular cycles - at the direction of a physician, "dynamics" that is, on different days.
- day cycle;
- week of pregnancy;
- the presence of menopause;
- administration of drugs that affect hormone levels.
The analysis results are usually available on the same day , but the timing of their receipt on hand depend on the specific interaction with the hospital laboratory. Interpret the results of the analysis to determine the order and progesterone treatment can only physician - depending on the overall picture of the health status of the patient and other factors.