Perhaps it is impossible to find a modern man, who has not heard about the dangers of cholesterol. And clearly explain what exactly this danger is, can not everyone, but the word "cholesterol" already makes to be concerned about health. In fact, not harmful cholesterol itself, which is an essential component of the human body, and its excessive amount. The excess of any, even a natural substance violates the balance nature intended, and leads to the development of various pathologies. But judge this surely can only be a qualified technician.
What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol - an organic compound necessarily present in the cells of all animals including
- for strength cell membranes and vessel walls, ensuring their elasticity and permeability regulation at different temperatures and other conditions;
- for the synthesis of vitamin D and bile acids, preventing their deficiency and related diseases;
- for the production of sex (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone) and steroid (cortisol, aldosterone) hormones;
- to balance the nervous reactions and immune properties of the organism.
Medical studies clearly indicate that:
- presence in the body of low density lipoprotein associated with the development of atherosclerosis. This is due to the fact that the compounds are not dissolved and are deposited in the vessel wall . This precipitate , or plaques clog the space inside the vessel and create the risk of heart attack , stroke and other cardiovascular diseases .
- high density lipoproteins, by contrast, do not readily dissolve and form a precipitate by performing only positive features described in the list above.
- smoking and alcohol consumption;
- malnutrition with a predominance of fatty foods, particularly trans fats and simple carbohydrates with a lack of fiber, vitamins and minerals;
- overeating and obesity;
- sedentary lifestyle, physical inactivity;
- diseases of the endocrine system: violation of secretion of thyroid hormones, adrenal cortex, diabetes mellitus;
- stagnation of bile, cholelithiasis;
- viral diseases;
- taking certain drugs.
How to prepare and donate blood cholesterol
Lipidogram - is a common and fairly simple analysis revealing how the overall performance and the various lipoprotein fractions in the blood. And the second indicator is considered more informative, and not by accident. After all, with an equal total cholesterol concentration in the blood of two different people at the same 60% are HDL and another - LDL. That is the same total cholesterol levels, and the state of health - is different. To obtain this information using blood from a vein. Pass it on an analysis at any specialized laboratory, but it is better to consult a doctor and get him direction. And then prepare for blood donation as follows:
- On the eve of the campaign to the laboratory no later dine seven o'clock in the evening.
- The next day give up breakfast - blood on any biochemical analysis dealt with an empty stomach after a 10-12 hour fast.
- If you can not donate blood in the morning, have breakfast then loosely light and low-fat food, and then wait at least 6 hours before donating blood.
- Tea, coffee, juices are also considered food and not allowed for 6, and preferably 8 hours before donating blood cholesterol.
- It is better to postpone the surrender of blood cholesterol, if one or two days before the scheduled analysis you are involved in a hearty meal. Fried , fatty foods and alcohol is slowly absorbed by the body and a 12- hour fast after a meal may not be sufficient for a qualitative study of blood.
- An hour before giving blood Give up smoking.
- 15 minutes prior to blood donation sit quietly and relax, especially if you before this went quickly and / or up the stairs.
- Be sure to tell your laboratory staff if you are taking any pharmaceutical drugs.
- Physical therapy, X-ray and a rectal examination should be done after, but not before taking a blood cholesterol.
- The phase of the female menstrual cycle does not affect the delivery of blood cholesterol.
- The level of total blood cholesterol, it is normally 3.0-6.0 mmol / L.
- The level of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), it is normal for men - 2,25-4,82 mmol / L for women 1,92-4,51 mmol / l.
- The level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), it is normal for men - 0,7-1,73 mg / dL for women - 0,86-2,28 mmol / l.
But independent restoration of normal blood cholesterol is not always possible. Especially because it only depends on the third power and is mainly transmitted as a hereditary factor. Therefore, even thinness can not be a guarantee that cholesterol is not elevated. Particularly attentive to its increase need to be after 40 years, and chronic disease in close relatives, weight and bad habits only aggravate the risk. And it concerns men more than women, which to some extent protected by the sex hormones. But women are at the opposite danger. Fad diets and the pursuit of harmony by eliminating fat-containing products from the diet reduces the amount of cholesterol to a critical point, after which the start of the menstrual cycle disruptions until amenorrhea and the inability to get pregnant. Therefore, it is important to control the level of cholesterol in any case, and upon reaching 40 years to donate blood cholesterol at least 1 time per year. Keep quiet simple and good advice, and be healthy!