What is the BIOS?
BIOS (basic input / output system, the basic input output system) - a special program that is stored in read-only memory chip.BIOS is required, in particular to the boot of the computer.What are the main functions of BIOS?
The main functions of this program include :
- Initial testing of all components of your computer after the power (POST).If all the elements are functioning properly, BIOS passes control to a program in boot-sector of the boot disk - it loads the operating system.
- Keeping your computer hardware in a special chip of CMOS-RAM.When you turn on the computer, BIOS compares the current configuration of the computer with the last saved.If there are differences in the configuration, update the contents of CMOS-RAM.In that case, if the update without any user configuration is not possible, the user is prompted to call a subroutineBIOS Setup, to specify the parameters of the detected components manually.Typically, users call it the "go to BIOS».
- manually specify the parameters and modes of operation of the computer components or off (using the BIOS Setup).
- Processing IO.
All these features BIOS interrelated and complementary .
How to go to BIOS?
the lips of the average user, "enter the BIOS» means «routine run BIOS Setup» .As mentioned above, this routine is used to adjust the operation of the individual hardware components of a computer.
To understand how to go in the BIOS, you need to understand, how the computer boots .When we press the power button in the first place is initializing and checking devices.First, it turns the processor and memory modules.After that initializes and checking video (graphics card).Often on the screen you can see the graphics card (type, memory, and so forth.), But these messages can not be displayed.
The BIOS then determines the amount of installed RAM and CPU type, checks these devices.At this stage there is an initialization and testing IDE / SATA devices, circuit boards (cards) extension search devices compliant Plug and Play.After initialization, and testing of all devices table displays the hardware configuration (in most versions of BIOS), and begins loading the operating system.
Normally, the system offers to come in BIOS (in other words, start the BIOS Setup) after the self-test (POST), at the time of initialization.In most cases, on a computer screen appears that offers to enter the BIOS Setup (eg, Press DEL to enter SETUP ).You still enter only perform the instructions and click on the button Del (Delete) on the keyboard until the sign has not disappeared.
Sometimes this message is not displayed.How to enter the BIOS in this case?It is necessary to turn the computer on, and as soon as the keyboard will be initialized (this can be identified by the flashing indicator Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock), press the DEL key several times.It did not work?Perhaps in your BIOS call BIOS Setup is carried out by other key combinations. It may be some keys and combinations :
- F1 - for certain versions of Phoenix BIOS
- F2 - for certain versions of Phoenix BIOS and motherboards Intel
- F10 - for certain versions of Phoenix BIOS
- Ctrl + Alt+ Esc
- Ctrl + Alt + Ins
- Ctrl + Alt
If this key combination does not specify boot, they can be found in the to your computer or motherboard .This Del key remains the most common options.Sometimes a single keystroke or key combination is not enough to go into the BIOS.Best press or a combination of about 10-15 times for approximately 10 seconds.
remind you that to change the BIOS settings unless absolutely necessary is not recommended!