Apache OpenOffice 3.4 - first release of OpenOffice running Apache Software Foundation .After transmission of the packet by Oracle fund ASF project was in an incubator, but the May 8, 2012, an official release of Apache OpenOffice 3.4: first release issued by ASF for free use of licensed under Apache 2.0.Its development was attended by representatives of more than 20 companies to provide the necessary resources for the development of the project under the auspices of the Apache.
OpenOffice is still one of the most popular application packages including projects with open source. More than 100 million users worldwide use it at home, in the commercial, government and research organizations, educational insti
While the program has not changed significantly since the development of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 focuses on the integration of the project in the infrastructure audit and Apache licensed code in connection with the transition to a license Apache.As a result, it had to be replaced and rewritten many subsystems to relicense under the Apache license that was not possible.
Key features and enhancements Apache OpenOffice 3.4 include:
- usual composition office suite: a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation program of preparation, a mechanism to connect to external databases and the built-in database, vector editing and the editor of formulas;
- support for operating systems Windows, Linux (32-bit and 64-bit versions) and Mac OS X;
- support for 15 languages: English, Arabic, Czech, German, Spanish, French, Galician, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese;
- improved format support ODF (OpenDocument Format), including new encryption options ODF 1.2;
- new features of the program to work with spreadsheets;
- enhanced support for pivot tables in Calc (for example, the possibility of adding to the table an unlimited number of fields);
- advanced graphics, including support for SVG vector format in Draw and integration of SVG objects in other applications;
- new opportunities to optimize default settings in Impress / Draw;
- improved performance and stability of the work, in particular, the application starts decreased markedly.
complete list of new features and enhancements available in the release notes.In addition to the code base package under the care of Apache have been moved and other components of the infrastructure (in particular, extensions and templates directories).So users Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is also available over 2,300 templates and 800 extensions , provided by third parties.
ASF in the future plans to further expand Apache OpenOffice Project.In particular, it is planned to support even more languages, increase the availability of applications for people with disabilities, as well as integration of new features, improvements and developments from the code base of IBM Lotus Symphony .
remind you that in June 2011, a free suite of office applications Lotus Symphony from IBM , like OpenOffice.org, was transferred to the fund ASF.IBM has stopped work on the Lotus Symphony in favor of the project Apache OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 3.4 can be downloaded for free from the developer's site. versions available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X .Extras available for download extensions that extend the functionality of the application, as well as ready-made templates.