Technical progress in abundance gave modern travelers means orientation on the ground. All sorts of navigators, transmitters and other devices virtually eliminate the geolocation not the probability, and even the hypothetical possibility of getting lost. Of course, the world still remained unexplored corners and courageous pioneers, but in most cases limited to attacks on nature except hiking on the Crimean forests. But even avid mushroom pickers, fishermen and hunters sometimes go deep into the jungle. But it is enough with the head of electronic devices.
The device and features a compass
The first Chinese compasses used even in the twentieth century BC, and since then the device has undergone many changes and improvements have been established marine and electronic compass. But in a general sense, the term "compass" still involve construction consisting of a circular base with a marking, which is set in the center of the magnetic needle with two ends pointing to magnetic North and South magnetic poles of the Earth. If you put a compass on a flat surface, the pointer will be located according to the magnetic field line.
It is necessary to move the compass to deploy it against its axis , the arrow will move back and take the position that indicates the magnetic poles . Thus the owner of a compass always know in which direction they are from it , and that this compass is to get everyone who is at least occasionally in the forest. If the compass you already have , for a long time but you did not use them , not hurt to check its serviceability . To do this, follow these steps :
- Place the compass on the table or on the floor - a flat surface without tilting.
- Pick up any iron object (needle, scissors, steel spoon) and bring to a compass.
- Very remove the subject from the compass and take it away . Look at the arrow : in good compass , it will take the same position at the beginning of the experiment. If the direction is changed - the compass should be thrown out , it is broken and you can not use it .
The orientation of the compass in the woods
So, checking the compass , along with everything you need packed into a backpack and you go camping / hunting / fishing. Experienced tourists are aware of all the intricacies of dealing with the physical hardware and beginners present a detailed guide to action :
- Even before you need a compass , you look around and remember the key objects area. This can be a lake, a building or other fixed point of reference that will tell you your location . Ideal is to use as a road, which can be out of the woods .
- Before we delve into uncharted territory, become the face of the selected reference point and get the compass.
- Looking at the compass, draw an imaginary line through it and your guide. Remember performance scale , a compass, who has crossed that line . It will be the figures on the compass , and they correspond to degrees of deviation from the north and / or south. You also need to remember only the rate at which you will return later to this point.
- Instead of building a mental way, you can use a ruler or a small clear plastic , scrap wire , or even a twig . Then you can be sure that the good eye will not fail , and a measured angle will surely be even.
The angle between the arrow pointing to the north, and your guide, called azimuth.
- The number is located on the scale of the compass is clearly in contrast, indicate the azimuth propulsion . That is, if the first - 315 degrees, the second - 135 degrees. In it you will need to check the trajectory of the way , and try as much as possible not to deviate from it.
- When traveling, do not forget from time to time to glance at the compass and restore the right direction.
- Once you've decided to go back , take a compass and orient so that the return line is determined by us pointing forward. Without changing the position of the compass , slowly turn around his whole body around its own axis while the magnetic compass needle points to the north.
- Feel free to go ahead - and sooner or later if you do not find yourself at the same point, from which they emerged, it just rested in the originally selected landmark.
Wrong, and even dangerous are attempts to land navigation using a compass tilted. His hand is always trying to take position along the magnetic lines of the planet, but if you keep the compass is not level, then it can not rotate freely, and even runs the risk of getting stuck. And, as the blue arrow indicates the magnetic compass, and not the geographic pole of the Earth, then it should be considered in conjunction with the use of the compass map of the area. Like the fact that deposits of iron ore and large industrial facilities may affect the operation of the device.
In such "anomalous" zones compass can behave in unexpected ways , and the arrow to start to rotate randomly . In this case, do not panic , but get away for some distance and try to orient the compass again. And be sure not to hold in your hand metal objects ( knife or flashlight ) , knocking down arrow to the right direction . These basic rules will help you avoid getting lost in the woods and find a way back to a simple magnetic compass.