The wind direction in the literal sense in modern life plays such a minor role that has gradually become an idiom , figurative expression . Although there are still people who know how to determine the wind direction , and regularly use these skills . And the language does not turn to call them reactionaries : This action sports fans . Determine the wind direction and strength necessary parachuting , skiing and sailing, kiteboarding , windsurfing , gliding , etc.
The measured parameters of the wind
Obviously, the more noticeable that the atmosphere surrounding us is never fixed . Fluctuations in the air or, in scientific language , the circulation of the atmosphere - that's what we used to call the wind. Wind , as a movement , characterized by very specific parameters: the direction , strength and speed . The ancient scholars have come up with the simplest devices to measure wind direction , which developed and improved by technological progress :
- The finger - is not always easy at hand, but directly on the hand . There is nothing easier than to moisten your index finger and lift it vertically . Blowing wind will cause a feeling of chill on the side where the air is moving . With the same hand the moisture will evaporate from the skin. However, when too hot and / or humid weather , this method is too inaccurate. Subjective feelings interfere with the right to determine the direction of the wind, and it is not always and everywhere be comfortable with a raised finger .
- Vane- An ancient device for measuring wind direction, at the same time has become a decorative element. The device includes a vertical axis wind vane to rotate freely on its horizontal pointer. Thus one half heavier than other weathervanes. Easy half weathervanes or arrow turns wherever the wind blows, and the hard part, or opposed to, is on the side where the wind blows. Modern wind vanes are equipped with electronic sensors. Even any flag - a simple wind vane, because flying in the direction of the wind.
- Wind coneIt looks like a flag, but is actually a more complex structure. Windsock - a bag in the form of an elongated cone attached to the flagpole . He picks up the movement of air and inflates in the direction where the wind blows . Windsock can be seen at the airport , a sports stadium , or make your own. Unlike homemade wind direction indicator showing wind direction approximately standardized windsock allow to determine the strength of the wind and illuminated at night.
- AnemometerIt can be called a hybrid wind vane and fan . The blades rotate on an axis under the influence of wind at a speed directly proportional to the strength and direction of air flow . The first mechanical anemometers appeared in the XIX century and modern thermal and ultrasonic anemometers are used in mechanical engineering , ventilation , construction, used in on-board computers and mobile gadgets .
- Wind direction, meaning, where the wind blows, calledAeronautical.
- MetWind direction shows where the wind is blowing.
What is the wind rose?
The movement of air depends on the geographical location and topography. Moreover, if the power of the wind speed and change often, the direction adheres to the basic vectors typical of a particular area. To record the wind direction, researchers have come up with a clear timetable diagram: the so-called wind rose. Windrose like a rose no more than a daisy or a multi-beam star. But it does not matter if you learn to determine wind direction wind rose, as did this medieval sailors and builders continue to do today, pilots and meteorologists:
- Windrose shows the prevailing wind direction , or the prevailing wind . This is not always enough for accurate measurements , but it is necessary to select the trajectory of the vehicle , the location of construction projects and a decision on buying trips to the ski resort .
- Windrose consists of axes which intersect at a point , conventionally referred to as " 0". As you move farther from the center axis of each marked segments to measure the strength of the wind. Four beam wind rose indicate cardinal points , eight rays - intermediate values , etc.
- The strength of the winds blowing in every direction for some time , celebrated on the corresponding axis. Then the extreme points of measurement are interconnected by a continuous line forming an irregular shape . Looking at it , once it becomes clear in which direction the wind blows more often / more .
How to determine the wind direction on the map?
The wind always blows from high pressure to low . The Earth's rotation affects the process and deflect wind spiral . It is displayed on the climatic maps , which can determine the direction of the wind over land and water :
- During the day the water is colder land , so the atmospheric pressure of the water above and the wind is blowing from the shore of the reservoir parallel to the surf . This wind is called the sea breeze on the climatic charts its direction is displayed in the form of thin arrows rounded , counterclockwise direction . At night the water cools slowly , areas of high and low pressure over land and water are reversed and a night , or a coastal breeze blowing in the direction of the reservoir (arrows on the map in a clockwise direction ) .
- Local winds in the mountains and on the continents rarely change direction . Seasonal monsoon winds are replaced only twice a year. They are subject to the same principle of atmospheric pressure , but from water to land blow summer, and from the land - winter. The direction of the monsoon affects the maps wider arrows of different colors (usually blue and red ) .
- Constant winds are called trade winds . The direction of the trade winds also depends on the pressure , but on a global scale . Thus, the lowest pressure observed at the equator , so the winds of latitude 30 ° flock there, leaning slightly to the west. The pressure at the parallel 56 ° as low as at the equator , so the trade winds are blowing in the direction of the poles , leaning to the east . All of this can be seen in the climate maps and globes , or just remember that westerly winds prevail in temperate latitudes , and at the equator - east .
How to determine the wind direction by weather vane and other materials at hand?
Winter and summer tourists would probably laugh seasoned sailors, if they happened to meet at the behest of a fantastic time loop. On the one hand, we can enjoy the wonders of technology, fits in smart phones, watches and trinkets. On the other hand, often we forget to look even ready to weather, not to mention the fact that the stock of the climate map, or even a special application to determine the wind direction. In any such case, remember simple ways to determine the approximate direction of the wind at the moment:
- If you or someone close to fry kebabs, pay attention to the smoke, he deflected in the same direction in which the wind blows, ie air navigation shows direction of the wind.
- If the barbecue is not included in the plans , remove the head bandana or grab a light pareo , move to an open stretch of beach or a forest clearing , and raise his hand with this improvised flag. If the wind is strong enough , it will lift the tissue and send it as a weathervane.
- Located on the banks, look at the water.